Questions to Ask When Touring an Assisted Living Community
Big life changes, like a change of address, include plenty of questions. When you start your journey to find the best assisted living community, touring area communities is a great way to become familiar with the advantages each offers. Your guide at the community should be well-prepared with information. To compare them accurately, be sure to get the identical information about each senior living community so you can compare apples to apples and choose the assisted living community that best suits your loved one and your family. Here’s a starter checklist with assisted living questions to ask:
- What do you do for me if I need more care than assisted living provides?
- What type of health care staff is available 24 hours?
- Can I rely on the community to transport me to my doctor’s office for appointments and to hospitals and medical centers?
- Do you hold my residence open for me if I have to stay in a hospital or rehabilitation facility for a long while?
- How often is your staff trained to deal with medical emergencies?
- Who is trained in HIPAA policies?
DINING & NUTRITION QUESTIONS
- Do you change menus with the season?
- Are there a range of menu selections and do I have a choice in what I order?
- Do your menus accommodate food allergies and dietary restrictions?
- Do you prepare all your food fresh on the premises?
- What is the experience level of your executive chef?
- What meals are included in monthly rent?
- Are meals served buffet- or restaurant-style?
- If I’m unable to come down for a meal, can you bring a meal to my room?
- Do you offer snacks?
- What is your community fee?
- Do you have a lease contract I can take home and review?
- Are there any services you charge extra for and if so, how do you bill those?
- Does your community accept Medicaid?
- If a resident is late with a payment, or completely unable to pay, what happens then?
- Under what circumstances would a resident be required to move out?
- Is this a pet-friendly community and if so, what is the fee?
- What is the experience your administrative staff has in the senior living industry?
- How do you assess the training and backgrounds of your staff before hiring?
- When a staff person takes the day off, how do you handle their duties?
APARTMENT & AMENITY QUESTIONS
- Can I move my own furniture into my apartment and personalize it?
- Is there maintenance staff onsite at all times?
- Do you have a brochure or website that features your amenities and services?
- Do you keep the residents updated about daily activities?
- Tell me about the kind of activities you offer that would fit my preferences?
- Is there complimentary transportation offered?
- Is there someone at the front desk all the time?
- After hours, how do visitors enter?
- What about the security of outdoor areas? How do you secure courtyards and patios?
- Do you have emergency procedures in place and can I have a copy of those?
- How do you onboard the new residents?
- Do you have a resident council in place?
- If disputes arise, what do you do to resolve those?
- What involvement do residents have when it comes to developing activities, new programs and menu items?
- While you’re visiting the community, pay attention to the attitudes of residents and staff. Do they smile and seem friendly?
All these questions and answers can be a lot to sort out, so if you can arrange it, ask someone to go with you for notetaking. You may want to take a second tour before making a final decision.
LEVELS OF CARE
You’ll want to inquire about what levels of care an assisted living facility can provide as well. Tiffany Springs offers independent living and a full continuum of care on one campus including assisted living, memory care, rehabilitation and extended stay. You’ll always have the best available level of care here in our North Kansas City location. Our campus has been recognized as one of the best senior living communities in Kansas City by the Kansas City Business Journal and received a Capstone Award this fall.
Learn more about our assisted living services. Call 816-621-3800 for a personal consultation.